[MCR] Slawinski/Takeda on Athabasca

Subject: [MCR] Slawinski/Takeda on Athabasca
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:19:42 -0600

FYI this is the right hand variation to the big Y feature on the North flank of Athabasca.. Essentially the closest piece of mountain to the Snow Coach staging /parking area.

  The route is in great shape with  ice of varying quantities throughout. A snow couloir, to 3 classic mixed pitches (M5-6), to a WI3 pitch, to 150m of4th class terrain to the ridge. We descended the ridge to avoid loaded snow slopes towards the Ramp. It took two rappels and was safely out of harms way.

  There is a loaded pocket at the base of the Y intersection that can be avoided/protected  by traversing in to the first mixed pitch, from the left.

All in all an amazing route on par with Asteroid Alley and the A-strain.  Not sure where to get a description but I would be happy to give better beta.

Rob

Rob Owens

mobile: 403-609-0960

home office: 403-609-2599