[MCR] Howson Range/ North Coast Mountains

Subject: [MCR] Howson Range/ North Coast Mountains
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:41:06 -0000

On a short trip to the Howsons today, we found 50 cm HS at the lodge (1020 m)
and 60 to 80 at 1200 m. There is evidence of a recent significant cycle that
is now obscured by the strong winds prevailing over the weekend. We could not
get to any fracture lines, but suspect that last week's snow slid on the thick
hard crust below.

A snow profile at 1165 m, SW aspect, showed 38 cm of soft cold snow sitting on
a hard crust that extends from ground to 45 cm. There is a strong gradient and
the soft snow is facetting. There was almost continuous whumpfing and cracking
when travelling at these low elevations. Exposed areas show much wind effect
out of the NW. Skiing is marginal at best. Air temperature was -7 degrees.

The upper glaciers still show much ice, but look skiable.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger, Mountain Guide
Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet