[MCR] Rockies Ice climbs December22nd and through Christmas

Subject: [MCR] Rockies Ice climbs December22nd and through Christmas
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:14:39 -0600

Went to climb on Mt Hunter(Yoho west) today after abandoning hopes for the Mt. Wilson area. Way too warm everywhere we went. Temperatures were 5c in canmore @6am, 3c in Lake Louise at 7am, 1c in Field @8am. LOTS of cloud, fog and other forms of moisture around. Saw no rain but I bet it fell somewhere and that the snowpack didn't like it.

It is not horrendous, but unless it cools the next couple of days could be a poor time to be hanging around under big avalanche paths or big hanging daggers. There were a few very unusual large natural avalanches in the past few days/week so the warm temps will only tweak the snowpack more.

A thermometer would be a useful tool the next few days as the forecast temps can be way off the actual temperatures in the mountains at any one place or time.

Ice climbing conditions will be great if it cools down and doesn't snow. In the short term however, Santa will know if you have been naughty or nice. Be good and stick to the simple terrain unless you are sure it is COLD and have a Merry Christmas.

Larry Stanier