[MCR] Rogers Pass - Asulkan Brk. Dec.28/05

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass - Asulkan Brk. Dec.28/05
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:50:49 -0800

I was up at Rogers Pass after an extended sabbatical due to a cold – timing was good as my recovery seems to be corresponding with a return to good ski quality and reasonable stability.

Basically there is a variable thickness/hardness rain crust that carries skiers (at least on my Mega Bangs 92mm. underfoot) with 20-25 cms. of loose new snow overlying it after last nights snow fall – the crust tapers off at around 8,000ft.(give or take a bit) – it is weakest just below treeline and fairly strong in the alpine. This is just enough snow to make for good skiing today though it is a little tricky just above the mousetrap.

Not tons of natural activity in the valley (some deposits in the mousetrap from the creek sidewalls) and things seem pretty tightened up with the cold weather – though the crust is fairly strong I am guessing that if you did something stupid it would still propagate through it into the deeper weakness – but basically appears to be bridging the lower weakness for now.

It settled in again this evening as I left and was snowing by the time night fell – 10-15 more would be quite nice.

Safe holidays and have a merry New Year,

Scott Davis

Mountain Guide