[MCR] Crowfoot Glades/Pass Area

Subject: [MCR] Crowfoot Glades/Pass Area
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:57:13 -0700
Crowfoot Glades/Pass

Wolfman Tom, Sinead and I enjoyed very good ski quality here today with 30-40 cm?s of new storm snow. Ski penetration is shin deep and trail breaking was moderate. We saw snow blowing off alpine ridges today and wind slabs were building and intensifying. There is a good possibility with winds or cornice acting as a trigger that in the alpine, a primary avalanche of the new storm snow could step down and trigger a much larger avalanche, so be very careful to give large slide paths a wide berth. Danger in Alpine is High. At tree-line and below tree-line we skied wind sheltered areas and felt comfortable with the danger. However this new snow is on the heavier side with more moisture in it, perfect for windslabs. Skiing up to Crowfoot pass we encountered a bowl that is affected by valley channeling winds and was very slabby and prone to avalanches in steeper wind-affected areas. Thus we are calling the danger at tree-line considerable with caution on any lee and cross loaded features. Below Tree-line we called it moderate. We saw one natural avalanche of size 2 come from un-skiable terrain off of N face of Mt. Crowfoot. We had no wumphing or shooting cracks today.

Info for the experts; Wx obs, snpk structure:
Elevation range 1930m-2240, at 12:48- Overcast, snowing 1cm hr, -1°, wind L SE, Ridge Blo M SW. HS at TL (7290ft), 144-175cm. Study pit 145cm deep NW asp, 34 deg. From surface; 0-10 F sd some rm, 10-36 4F DF, 36-51 RG 1F, 51-54 wc P, 54-76 mx 1f+, 76-100 mx P, 100-130 FC P-, 130-140 FC 1F+, 140-145 DH. 25 down CTE 6 RP on HST interface, 51 dn CTM 15x2 RP on wc, 54 dn CTM 15/CTH 24 both RP.
Eric Dumerac.