[MCR] Hudson Bay Mountain 28 Feb 06

Subject: [MCR] Hudson Bay Mountain 28 Feb 06
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:58:54 -0000

We are back in a southerly flow with the temperatures starting to moderate.
Strong winds in the alpine at -10 degrees (1600 m). There is wind transport,
but not much available because it did not snow much here (6 cm in one week at
the portal). We saw no new avalanches. Ski cutting of recent wind deposits
failed easily and ran fast, but the slab was only 3 to 5 cm thick and did not
propagate far.

A profile on a SE aspect shows a facetted snowpack with no significant shears.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger, Mountain Guide
Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet