[MCR] Lake Louise, Rogers Pass and NE Purcells

Subject: [MCR] Lake Louise, Rogers Pass and NE Purcells
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 09:16:12 -0700
Just returned from a CAA level 2 out of Golden so we had LOTS of observations from the N and NE corner of the Purcells and 1 day in Rogers Pass and 1 in Lake Louise Backcountry.

The big concern we observed in all these areas that is likely to persist for awhile is a suncrust down between 40-70cms on steep South and Southwest slopes at all elevations. This has a weak layer of facets on top of it in some places we tested. It is tricky to test for as You will not find it in safe test sites(low angles or in shady forest cover). It also doesn't tend to produce noticeable whumphs as it fails fairly quitely as a thin layer sometimes will. The downhill skiing is terrible with a new suncrust on top of the south facing terrain but be aware of it when thinking of ascending these slopes.

We were starting to feel pretty comfortable on simple planar N and NE facing features but rocky and shallow snowpack areas are still a concern in all the areas we visited for a variety of reasons.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide