[MCR] Callaghan Country Backcountry Lodge

Subject: [MCR] Callaghan Country Backcountry Lodge
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:41:39 -0800
Was working at Callaghan Country Backcountry Lodge for the last 4 days (9-12 March). Over a few days preceding the morning of the 9th the area received about a meter of new snow bringing the total height of snow at the lodge (4500') to 510cm. During that storm the area had a widespread natural avalanche cycle that ran on a surface hoar layer (buried on the 5th).  During the last four days the snowpack rapidly stabilized and reasonably cool air temperatures (nothing higher than -2 at the lodge) kept the north aspect slopes in great shape for skiing.  During my stay we skied progressively more aggressive lines.
Yesterday the lodge hosted K2 Ski's Back 9 competion.  The runs where down steep fluted faces, bowls and pillow lines.  There where no skier triggered slab avalanches, but the loose surface snow sluffed reasonably easily.  On nearby mountains skiiers and snowmobilers visited many steep features.  The only recent natural avalanche debris I saw was a cornice release (size 2.5) that did not pull a slab from the slope below.
Amazing ski conditions.  As of yesterday I'm rating the Avalanche Hazard in the area as Moderate in the Alpine, Low at Tree Line and Below Tree Line.  For stability Alpine=Good, Tree Line = Very Good, Below Tree Line=Very Good

Dave Sarkany

Ski Guide
Callaghan Country Backcountry Lodge