[MCR] Lake Louise/Bow Summit

Subject: [MCR] Lake Louise/Bow Summit
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:10:19 -0700
This week I've been working a CAA Level 1 in the Lake Louise/Bow Summit area.

The week initially started cold and with a fairly stable snowpack. Fairly unconsolidated surface layers, good mid-pack strength, with the basal facet and depth hoar layers not very reactive to our tests. Generally hard shears (although Sudden Collapse in quality). Rutschblocks were all rated 7 (no result).

We started seeing warming mid-week, and this has led to a subtle change in the past 24 hours. In addition to the expected loose snow avalanches on steep sunny aspects, there was a report of size 2 slab on a south aspect yesterday. Today (Friday) we saw the top 30 cm of snow start to settle and form a slab but the weaker facetted layers or crusts just below this slab has not strengthened as fast. So we started seeing variable shears 20 to 30 cm down from the surface, easy to hard but all Sudden Planar in quality. This shear was reactive to the skis to and I cut a size 1 slab 25 cm thick in a steep convex roll on a south aspect at treeline. It was a very small feature but I think on a bigger slope with the same snowpack characteristics it would have propagated a fair ways.

We're saying avalanche danger is Moderate in the Alpine, Moderate at Treeline, and Low Below Treeline.

Terrain travel advisory: at highest elevations we expect sluffing and isolated windslabs due to brief intense flurries and moderate south winds today. Cornices are a concern at all elevations, due to their size combined with warming and windloading at high elevations. Caution for settlement slabs that lie on well developed facets on shaded slopes or suncrusts on steep solar aspects.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.alpinism.com