[MCR] Mt Sir Donald

Subject: [MCR] Mt Sir Donald
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:07:55 -0600
Up the NW Arete yesterday with Jesse Demontigny on a training mission.

The route was in excellent shape, dry with no snow or ice on the N face throughout the lower (crux) third. Several small snow patches still linger in shady pockets in the upper third, but these were easy to avoid or kick up.

As the clouds rolled in near the top, we caught up to Marco Delesalle and guest and opted to descend together. The west face ledges still looked to have a fair bit of snow covering the steep slabs, so we stayed on the arete. The start of the bolted rappel stations that avoid the downclimb of the lower half of the route is currently flagged with webbing and so is easy to spot. The low angle terraces below the rappel line still have a bit of snow and running water as does the top of the approach slope, so we kept the rope out right to the ground.

Despite intense-looking skies, the weather (mostly) held for us, but the monsoon and fireworks that hit as we descended may have left a fresh dusting of snow up high and on the N face, at least until the sun returns.

New (to me, anyway) on the approach is a Lower Trail which stays below the steep moraines at the base. If you haven't yet heard about it, it is a well built trail that splits off from the old trail 50m or so below the top of the waterfall. The melt flow is high right now, so the stream crossing was not dry or obvious, but the trail is well cairned on the north (far) side and stays just above treeline until almost underneath the Sir D-Uto col. This avoids the ascent up the lateral moraine and almost all of the steep snow side hilling, rock fall hazard and general scree bashing of the old approach. The new campsite (toilet) that's been put in beside the tarn 1/2 way along this new trail is also a much better and more durable bivy than the old meadow bivy sites.

Carl Johnston
ACMG Rock Guide and sometime shortroping crash test dummy