[MCR] Mt. Hector

Subject: [MCR] Mt. Hector
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:59:45 -0600
Climbed Mt. Hector on July 9 and 16.

A poor overnight freeze on July 8 and afternoon rain made for deep penetrations (up to 40cm in the final 300 ft. of elevation) that allowed us to summit without crampons.

A good overnight freeze on July 15 (ice in the puddles on the moraines) made for a 5cm boot pen up to about 10,000 ft. above this we used crampons and were just able to kick thin steps with a bit of work. The crust was 25cm thick on the snow slope leading to the summit col. Our steps from last week through the rock gullies near the summit were frozen solid.

The glacier still has snow right down to where you step on to it below Little Hector. A 50m long crevasse cuts the middle of the glacier perpendicular to the fall line. Last week we passed it on the left, this week on the right, with the latter having fewer sags and weak bridges. The glacier flats at about 9500 ft. that lead up towards the initial steep snow slope had a breakable crust that stopped supporting in the afternoon so travel was easier on the scree shoulder to the west although the lower elevations were reasonable with boot penetrations of mainly10-20cm on descent.

Shaun King
Full Asst. Guide