[MCR] Lake OHara area

Subject: [MCR] Lake OHara area
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:00:05 -0600
Climbed Victoria from Abbotts pass and down Huber ledges today. Lots of drifted snow in sheltered spots but the ridge is mostly dry. Up to 60cms in drifts but average around 30cms. Tough 5cm crust with dry snow underneath. Spooky in places as it definetly hadn't settled as much as I had hoped. I didn't climb the snow face on Huber as it looked loaded and was in the sun. Lefroy and Glacier peak looked dark and unattractive after all the recent avalanche activity. Hungabee and Biddle are still plastered. Tarrant buttress is mostly dry.

The unsettled snow made the glacier travel tricky as the new bridges have no useful strength but are not sagging at all.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide