[MCR] Rogers Pass Connaught Drainage

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass Connaught Drainage
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 07:15:20 -0700
Erica and I had a recreational day up Connaught Creek on Friday, skiing Dispatchers trees and Ursus trees.

Snowing lightly all day, generally calm or light winds with some sudden westerly gusts to moderate although up higher it seemed to blowing harder. -12 at our high point.

About 150cm of snow at treeline, 120 cm on top of the Nov raincrust. The entire upper part of the snowpack was fairly low density with no major layers noted with probing.

A couple of size 1 soft slabs on steep rollovers in the immediate lees of ridges. Some moderate sized cornices hanging around. No activity today in the alpine that we could see in a couple of hours of decent visibility although the light was flat. Overall, in the treeline areas we skied things felt fairly benign although the light snow would be transported by winds and form slabs fairly quickly.

Ski quality: super excellent. Cold smoke!

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide