[MCR] Southern Selkirks

Subject: [MCR] Southern Selkirks
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:55:18 -0800
I've been skiing in the Valkyr range in the southern selkirks for the past
three days. These mountains rise directly above the lower Arrow Lake, south of
Nakusp. We've been skiing at treeline and below treeline elevations, on north
and west aspects.

On arrival we found a very wind effected snowpack at treeline and in the alpine
on all aspects, of variable depth, 120-200cm, with plenty of areas thinner than
that at ridgecrests. The snowpack is made up of mostly facets and mixed forms
and is not particularly strong with a variety of facet layers and crusts and
areas of old windslab on top. No consistent layers or shears in the snowpack
due to the high degree of variability. The surface was a mixed bag of wind
crusts and slabs, sun crusts, rime crusts, surface hoar, graupel and
decomposing crystals.

In the past 3 days 40cm of snow has fallen, which has settled to 30cm. Today
moderate-strong west winds formed soft slabs within the storm snow at all
elevations, that was very reactive to skis. We triggered several small slabs
15cm thick. The storm snow/old snow interface is not reacting yet at treeline
or below treeline. We suspect significant slabbing at upper elevations.

We've been keeping to straightforward, planar terrain below treeline.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide