[MCR] Battle Abbey- Selkirks

Subject: [MCR] Battle Abbey- Selkirks
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:04:49 -0700
I thought I would mention the Feb 04 Surface Hoar as I am sure it is causing some confussion as to its current hazard. It has been a big problem in many areas of the Interior Ranges, just as it has not been a big problem for many of these areas neighbours. There for it is an isolated problem making that much harder to judge. Here at the Abbey as I observed also at RK Heli skiing in the Purcells and Monashee Powder in the Monashee's the February 04 surface hoar has been an isolated phenomenon and not been the persistant problem causing natural and skier triggered avalanches. In these areas, this layer of concern is still evident anywhere between 50 and 100cm and shows up now as slightly stiffer layer where the density change is slight, the bond strengthening well and no sigh of surface hoar crystals. In shallower areas facets can be found above it. Generally it is producing hard and resistant planar or borken results. Here at Battle Abbey we have found snow stability in all elevations to be good with only the storm snow sluffing. Very thin soft slabs were found in lee loaded areas. We are taking advantage of the good stability and weather to ski bigger and steeper lines off summits. As many other locations are doing. At the same time some locations are still reporting avalanches on this layer. Since this is the case, I suggest before comitting to a slope, dig a few quick test pits down 1meter 20 and if its there, compression/shear tests will reveal it. Solar aspects are also beginning to soften up enough that the next very warm day I will deffinately proceed with greater caution especially at Tree line and below. Happy Trails, Eric Dumerac, ACMG guide.

Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live Spaces. http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=en-ca