[MCR] Commonwealth Creek area

Subject: [MCR] Commonwealth Creek area
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 18:28:19 -0700
Skied around Commonwealth ck. today with a couple of dozen other people. Not exactly a wilderness experience.

The north facing chutes above Tiyst Lake are skied out and almost mogulled. We skied the gentle terrain on the south facing avalanche path west of "Super slope" and had decent shallow powder skiing that was suprisingly non sun affected. We then skied the Commonwealth loop from the west to east and had good skiing after the 1st slope below the col.

Temperatures rose during the day from -8c at 930am at the road to -1c at 2pm at treeline. Clouds rolled in around 1200 so I would assume the sun affect was minimal on all but the steep SE faces. Winds were probably 50-70kms SW at the ridges all day.

The snowpack was pleasantly strong everywhere we travelled and the snow surface has been beaten up enough by the wind, sun and warm air that at present it isn't a concern as a future weak layer. The avalanche danger did not increase signifigantly during the day as the forecasted "hot" weather did not arrive.

The biggest hazard seemed to be other people as a couple of pretty ugly places had ski tracks in them.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide