[MCR] Howse Pk/ Chephren area.

Subject: [MCR] Howse Pk/ Chephren area.
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:24:29 -0700
Skied in the Howse pk area sunday. Lots of wind up high and the west facing terrain on the east side of the BJ looked hammered. Still good shallow powder skiing on sheltered North aspects. It felt a bit too warm to be on big sun exposed terrain. No signifigant weak layers found in a profile at 2200m on a sheletred, smooth, planar N face. We had only minor sluffing on two planar slopes up to 45 degrees.

With the warm midday temps there were fairly frequent large moist sluffs coming off the big walls. I saw perhaps 10 sluffs big enough to blow me off the wall. Two involving big cornice chunks would have blown me and a mediocre anchor off the wall. Things may improve when temps drop but until then I would stay well away from the big alpine routes and be very aware of what is way over my head while ice climbing.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide