[MCR] Howsons 12 April 07

Subject: [MCR] Howsons 12 April 07
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:13:02 -0700
Spring has arrived in the Howson Range, but temperatures are cool and the snow firm and stable, giving excellent corn skiing from treeline down, with powder on supportive crusts above. The wet loose avalanche activity has stopped and ice-falls do not trigger slabs. Cornices are large, but few are falling. We attempted the left hand couloir on the Trident yesterday, but experienced a whumpf where we entered the narrower section at 2350 m. This is a 43 degree N facing gully. The danger is overall low, snow cover is very deep and very good skiing is to be found.
--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
Mountain Guide IFMGA