[MCR] Rogers Pass/Asulkan Hut

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass/Asulkan Hut
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:36:54 -0600
With Thompson Rivers University, Adventure Programs

We left the trailhead at the Illecillewaet Campground in heavy rain on 09/28 and reached the snow-line at 1700m. 40cm of moist snow at the Asulkan Hut at 2100m.

The next days travel on the Asulkan glacier towards the Asulkan Pass we waded through 70cm of increasingly lower density snow the higher we went. Trail breaking and crevasse detection was time consuming. Slab development was prevalent around 2300m in the lee of most ridge lines. We remotely triggered a small slab 20m wide 25m long and about 40cm in depth. Also visible that day were larger fracture lines on most aspects above 2500m in elevation, mostly below steep cliffs.

The following 4 days were spent not far from the hut as substantial snowfall amounts and strong southerly winds accumulated wind slabs close to 200cm's in depth! (in lee areas). The snow had an up side down feeling in density and once again travel was very time consuming.

We walked out this morning (10/04) under mostly clear skies and saw a surprisingly small amount of natural avalanche activity. Snowfall amounts as of this morning were quite variable because of the strong winds of the week, but ranged from 20cm to 120cm at 2100m.

Aaron Beardmore
Mountain Guide

Jokull Bergman
Alpine Guide