**JUNK** [MCR] Selkrik Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan Drainage Dec.8-

Subject: **JUNK** [MCR] Selkrik Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan Drainage Dec.8-07
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:32:04 -0800

Selkrik Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan Drainage Dec.8-07

I did a trip up the Dome Glacier on Sunday Dec.8 along with a parking lot full of other people under clear skies and cold temps (-15.0C in the parking lot).

There was about 5-15cm. of new snow over the recent rain crust from last week in the valley bottoms and this amount increased to 20-30cm. at treeline just before the crust petered out as I climbed into the Alpine elevations.

The loose surface snow was sluffing on the crust in steep terrain but the snow was not stiff enough yet to produce a slab over the crust. In the Alpine I could find no evidence of a rain crust and aside from the skier triggered avalanche in the bowl above Avalanche Crest I saw nothing but loose snow sluffing in the steep terrain that everyone seemed to be skiing (see photos).

Lots of wind affect on Youngs peak but otherwise not much noticed on the Dome. (see photo)

The avalanche in Avalanche Crest bowl occurred on Saturday as a group was touring below the smaller moraine feature (in the foreground of the larger avalanche) that they triggered from a distance away. This was followed by a larger release farther up the slope on a larger south facing moraine feature at the same time (see photos). The avalanche was reported to have released on a surface hoar/suncrust interface that was buried on November 24th. This interface was quite variable and the suncrust on steep south/southwest apects will be quite variable dependent on the incline of the slope (meaning it will be on steeper features and not so likely on lower angled ones), and is definitely something to keep in mind over the next while especially in larger alpine features – the avalanche reported above was 50-80cm. thick and on a S-SW aspect.

People are definitely not giving the snowpack much time to settle between storms before skiing very steep and large features – not a habit to emulate if you want to keep at this game for long – consider more moderate lines to get a sense of things before cutting loose on the big stuff and at least ski one at a time (I saw lots of groups skiing steep lines together this week) to limit consequences should something go awry. Sorry for the preaching but I felt I had to say something (see the photos of the dome – the super steep convex roll on the climbers right of the picture was skied on Saturday before any tracks were even on the more moderate line to the climbers left).

One other thing, several cars were broken into (including mine) on Sunday at the Illicilewaet parking lot – so be aware and keep your wallet with you at all times (glad that I did)!

We had a trace of fluffy low density snow in Revy today.

Cheers,

Scott Davis

Mountain Guide