[MCR] Icefall lodge area, Jan 6-12, 2008

Subject: [MCR] Icefall lodge area, Jan 6-12, 2008
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:38:04 -0700
Just back from a week at the icefall lodge area in the western Rockies, west of the Lyells. We arrived at an interesting time on January 6th just after a cycle which seemed to show some results in isolated areas viewed from flight in. Most of the activity was at lower elevations with some isolated paths running to valley bottom in the drainage of the hut. Our tests showed some moderate tests in the upper pack which tightened up over the week. These were mostly in the upper 40cm of the snow pack Though visibility wasn't great all week we did not observe any slabs activity in any of our travels on any adjacent slopes. We were pretty cautious over the week not really pushing the terrain and using safe travel. In shallow areas faceting was evident with one settlement noted on a SE aspect near some rocks. The snowpack at 1900 metres at the lodge was 160cm. We had about 10-15cm over the week with almost no wind affect anywhere. the temperatures were very steady all week at around -10 to -15 with little to no sun affect over the days. Some sluffing on steep terrain was noted from some low density snow, and in the top 10-15cm, mostly the last few days
Things would have been much different if we had any wind!.
See reports over the last week it seems like we were in a pretty sheltered little part of the mountains.
Peter Amann

Peter Amann
Mountain Guiding
Box 1495, Jasper AB, T0E 1E0