[MCR] Kootenays - Valkyr Range

Subject: [MCR] Kootenays - Valkyr Range
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:48:56 -0800
The last 5 days have been spent in the Valkyr range of the southern Selkirks.

Light snowfalls, light to moderate W-NW winds and temps of -6 to -18.

We have been on the windward side of the range and as such the snowpack depth has been variable, from 120-200 cm. The main layer of concern is a thick layer of weak 4 Finger facets lying atop a Pencil to Knife resistance ice crust on the ground. A thick mid-pack Pencil resistance slab lies above the facets. The Dec 5 layer is not very evident here, and the significant shears we have seen have been failing in the aforementioned facets, moderate to hard compression tests with a sudden compression fracture character. However, there have been no natural avalanches noted and no whumpfing or cracking.

There is also considerable wind effect in the alpine and wind slabs are a concern at higher elevations.

We are staying on small features, supported terrain, and staying away from starting points in thin spots.

We are rating danger as Moderate at all elevations, with a concern of high consequences if an avalanche fails in the facet layer near ground.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide