[MCR] Bow Hut - Wapta - Mt. Olive

Subject: [MCR] Bow Hut - Wapta - Mt. Olive
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:56:04 -0700
Climbed Mt. Olive today with an overnight at Bow Hut. Two days of intense westerly winds caused lots of snow being transported in all open areas - especially yesterday! Only question is where the snow was being deposited as most easterly aspects seemed also stripped or at least punched by the downflowing winds. Main concern where a couple of spots where a hard wind slab was sitting on one or several faceted layers of lower density snow, namely the short but steep morrainal slope right underneath the Bow Hut. We avoided it by carrying our skis up a steep morrainal rib just to the right of it, which required some sure-footedness.

Other than that, the "Canyon" is easy to travel and the coverage on the glacier appeared good for early season.

Cheers,

Jorg Wilz
Mountain Guide (ACMG / IFMGA / VDBS)
1-800 506-7177 or (001) 403 678 2717