[MCR] Haffner Creek Moose / Marble Canyon Ice (Feb 8 +9)

Subject: [MCR] Haffner Creek Moose / Marble Canyon Ice (Feb 8 +9)
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 20:08:35 -0700
Haffner Creek, Kootenay National Park, Canadian Rockies (Feb 8+9)

I just got shut down at Haffner Creek two days in a row by, of all things, a moose. Let me expand: A big 1500 lb female swamp donkey! Yesterday, I was walking in at about 9:30 and it was blocking the trail. I've heard too many stories of angry charging moose so we retreated to Grotto Canyon. Went back today and Bullwinkle was still blocking the trail munching on branches. We tried deeking around but the post-holing off the packed trail was stomach deep. Retreated once again, this time to Marble Canyon. Maybe we could have strolled by her but I wasn't willing to risk checking to see. Big animal, real big.

The ice in Marble Canyon is very dry and brittle. Experienced lots of stress fracturing on Marble Arch (WI4) so we ran away after one top- rope lap. I wouldn't want to lead it. The lower third of Tokumm Pole (WI5+) has fallen off into the water at some point in the not-so- distant past. Due to the cold ice down there and the funky pillar- nature of these routes, I would think they can be quit fragile in the right (or should I say wrong) conditions.

Sean Isaac
Assistant Alpine Guide