[MCR] Howsons 10 Feb 08

Subject: [MCR] Howsons 10 Feb 08
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:23:04 -0800
The last week was one of the coldest and snowiest I have observed in the Howsons, but the skiing was excellent, with no less than 1200 m skied every day. On Friday, the winds were moderate to strong from the NW with steady snowfall. The temperatures dropped to -21C. The wind reversed direction Friday night, but the snowfall and low temperatures persisted until noon on Sunday. There were 40 cm of snow on the storm board by the end of the week. It snowed much more, but much of that had been blown away.

A test profile at 1650 m in a wind exposed area, W aspect, showed about 50 cm of storm snow over last week. There were several sudden planar moderate to hard shears on decomposing and fragmented grains in the storm snow. There is a crust/ facet layer 100 cm down that is producing hard sudden planar shears. There was some whumpfing in glades below treeline. Ski cutting produced no results.

Our avalanche observations were mostly acoustic as the visibility was poor throughout the week. Several size 2 and 3 came off the Hut Cliffs and Polemic Glacier through the week.

Today, as we saw the sun for the first time all week, we observed one size 3 natural slab in a south aspect on Hut Peak and several natural size 2 slabs, some triggered by cornice falls, on the flight out in the Telkwa Range.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
IFMGA/ UIAGM Mountain Guide - Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet