**JUNK** [MCR] Selkirks Mtns. - Albert Icefields - Feb.9-16-08

Subject: **JUNK** [MCR] Selkirks Mtns. - Albert Icefields - Feb.9-16-08
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:48:10 -0800

Selkirks Mtns. - Albert Icefields - Feb.9-16-08

Just out from a week in the Albert Icefields located halfway between Rogers Pass and Revelstoke on the south side of the Trans Canada.

Lots of snow - @ 100cms. of storm snow over the week with cool temps and a variety of winds over the week – the most current being Strongly from the NW last night (Feb.15) and today (Feb.16).

Basically there has been a lot of snow and it needs a little time to settle down – there is a persistent shear down 40 and another down 60 – and yesterdays wind and milder temps produced an @ 10cm. soft slab that is now covered by another 10cm. of snow – not super reactive today but we stayed away from unsupported terrain. Below the recent storm snow we found a strong well settled snowpack in the alpine – below treeline there is little evidence of the Jan.26 surface hoar in this local – but there is a definite interface at that level – so far not reactive during my stay there.

Looking ahead there is some sunshine in the outlook for the first time in a while – and for me around here (aside from places dealing with surface hoar) the buried suncrusts from both Jan.26 and Feb.4 are my biggest concern  - and well if the sun does shine it will be most directly on those slopes once again – so keep your eyes open for day time warming over the next few days.

Cheers,

Scott Davis

Best Ever Adventures

E-mail: sdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx