[MCR] Rocky Mountains - Lake Lousie Backcountry - Feb.22-08

Subject: [MCR] Rocky Mountains - Lake Lousie Backcountry - Feb.22-08
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:55:22 -0800

Rocky Mountains - Lake Louise Backcountry - Feb.22-08

I have been working on a Level 2 CAA course this week and we spent the day at Lake Louise with the local Avalanche control team – part of the day was spent in Wolverine Bowl – the next bowl North of Purple Bowl. While we were doing profiles the Avalanche crew were going to place some explosives in a North facing  area known as the Tylenols – while walking on the ridge on their way to the desired shot placement – they felt a whumph – and remotely triggered (means the avalanche started 75 meters from where they were standing safely on the ridge) a size 2.5 slab avalanche with a 150cm. crown.

Well they still had their shots so they moved farther along the ridgecrest when they felt a second whumph – and triggered a second size 2.5 (left portion in attached photo) the next two times they managed to actually throw their explosives which produced another 2.5 (the right protion that connects to the remotely triggered  and a size 3.0 with a crown (the depth of snow that released) of 300 cms.

Obviously things are still pretty touchy out there in the Rockies and I don’t see this one going away anytime soon – remote triggering means that you really have to be aware of what is over your head  if you choose to travel in the mountains. All this has also been complicated by the sun affect on south through west slopes that has triggered several other avalanches in the area over the last week.

Scott Davis

Mountain Guide