[MCR] Waddington Range Icefield Conditions

Subject: [MCR] Waddington Range Icefield Conditions
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:19:31 -0700
I just finished a week of exploratory heliskiing just east and north of Waddington. We skied from the Nuit's in the East to the Queen Bess icefields in the south and the Klina Klini River Valley in the Northwest.

Glacier conditions are generally excellent for this time of year. Last summers poor weather has left a decent old snowpack on the glaciers. This years moderately big snows and lack of strong Katabatic winds means the winters icefields snowpack is quite strong and there is good coverage at the toes of the big icefields.

Of note also, cornices don't seem dramatically huge and this is backed up by reports of lots of strong reverse winds.

Had a look at the Bravo and Angel glaciers from the Pacific Coastal flight and some somewhat backlit views while skiing. (at a respectful distance away from the mighty and sacred Wadd) Both times the light wasn't absolutely perfect but I thought both those glaciers looked a little more rugged than I remember. They looked passable but like they would put up a good fight! So they should, it is Mt. Waddington after all!

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide