[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Albert Icefields - Interior ranges in general

Subject: [MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Albert Icefields - Interior ranges in general - Feb.27-08
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:47:11 -0700
From Scott Davis:

Well it has begun - the Feb.23/26 surface hoar sandwich - which goes to mountain top and is present in all mountain ranges - is now buried by anywhere from 15-25cms. of new snow from last nights system.

So far here it hasn't really hit the depth (we have 15cms.) and density of slab to be reactive in the form of slab avalanches (though some places reported triggering 20cm. slabs on suncrust/surface hoar interface with a trigger from a distance - helicopter-remote) - it won't be long before those threshold values are reached.

I would be especially cautious of those slopes that have a buried suncrust in combination with the surface hoar as they are likely to be the earliest to react and may not need much snow.

It looks like tomorrow will give us a break in the weather followed by another system on Friday/Saturday - so by the weekend things could be quite touchy and I would urge everyone to practice conservative travel and ski terrain choice.

This is not something that is going to disapear anytime soon and safe skiing this spring will require a good knowledge of slope use coupled with a rational and respectful use of terrain.

Be alert for change!

Cheers,

Scott Davis
Mountain Guide