[MCR] Howsons 11 March 08

Subject: [MCR] Howsons 11 March 08
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:54:05 -0700
Temperatures rose to 4 degrees during a short period mid-day at the lodge. In the evening, they dropped back to -1 degree and strong NW winds sprang up. It snowed all day. We found about 40 cm of new snow in the alpine and 5 mm of water equivalent at the lodge level. The freezing level was at about 1300 m.

Many small and medium sized avalanches ran naturally during the hottest part of the day. They were confined to the top layers of the snowpack, but ran far, if slowly. They all started below 1400 m. Yesterday I cut a size 1.5 on a steep forest glade at 1400 m and was carried about 20 m by it. Today, I cut more size 1.5s in steep terrain below 1300m. We also felt two whumpfs.

There seems to be a big divide at the freezing level: above it, the new snow is stiff and cohesive and settles fast. Below it, the new snow is less cohesive, but it does propagate and run easily. With the current amount of new snow, I am concerned about larger natural avalanches releasing, but we saw little evidence of that today. The visibility was limited.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
IFMGA/ UIAGM Mountain Guide - Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet