[MCR] Bow Summit

Subject: [MCR] Bow Summit
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:43:56 -0400 (EDT)
On a somewhat different note from Barry's escapades, I was up at Bow Summit late this afternoon. Surprisingly excellent skiing where there were no tracks. -2 C at the parking lot at 15:00, -4 C at the high point of the adventure 600 ft above the parking lot at about 15:45. 25 cm ski penetration, surface was loose up to treeline but lots of evidence of wind up high.

HS was around 140 cm, you can check this easily by plunging a ski pole until it hits the ground (basket first or handle first, it doesn't matter!) 15 cm facetting storm snow seemed well bonded to the underlying facets, but I have no idea what it would be like in the alpine.

Regards,
Tom Wolfe
AAG/ASG