[MCR] Jervis Inlet

Subject: [MCR] Jervis Inlet
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:23:39 -0700
Just got back from a week up in the Jervis Inlet and North beyond the Clendinning Park areas.  Over the week we saw about 50cms new snow bonding well in the alpine with little to no wind effect as a result of convective activity.  Temps were remaining cold early in the week with ridge top sitting at -10 to -5 through the day yielding good skiing on the Norths. We skied the alpine as Good stability.  A few days of clear weather and a fine corn cycle should be kicking in.

Treeline areas we found a surface hoar layer with about 30-40cms of 4F snow sitting on a thin (5cm) melt freeze crust. This was easily reactive to skiing and was releasing with little effort on any mod-steep terrain at all.  We skied this elevation like is was poor on one of the days.  As the freezing levels came up though it started to gain strength and become less reactive as the days went on.

Spring arrived on Thursday where we saw a spike in the freezing levels with straight Norths getting cooked up to 2100m.  I would assume nothing but crusts at this elevation and below now until we get a new snow fall.

Cliff Umpleby