[MCR] Rockies - Bow Lake area skiing

Subject: [MCR] Rockies - Bow Lake area skiing
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:38:07 -0600
Yes, I have still been skiing.

After getting weathered out of the icefields we put in a few days skiing lines around Bow Lake. The crusts, believe it or not, are still not fully there. On solar aspects they vary in quality from being pretty decent to punchy to "we better get out of here" depending on the terrain, the day and the time of day. Everywhere the crusts were not that thick and deteriorated quickly with warming. Travel in the trees was barely OK, often breakable even first thing in the morning but still doable. The place to be is in the alpine and if you go to the right place at the right time there is some pretty good skiing to be had.

There still seems to be enough snow at Lake Louise (the actual lake), so objectives in that area might be OK. We didn't travel on upper elevation norths but they look good (still wintry?). The Wapta had good visibility yesterday.

Looking at the forecast sky conditions and temps there could be a couple of days with favourable diurnal swings this week. But I would say pick a short objective, get up really early and be back at Laggan's for brunch. Or you could go golfing.

Summer wax goes on today.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide