[MCR] Rogers Pass

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 21:31:16 -0800
Been skiing at Rogers Pass for the past week. The old surfaces were buried on January 27 and there is a variety of depths of storm snow covering that interface, elevation and aspect dependant, but probably 30-60 cm on average. This interface is either surface hoar, facets, suncrust or a combination of any of the above.

Visibility has been mostly poor and we haven't gone much above treeline. We have triggered numerous sensitive slabs at that elevation but they have been very soft and not propagating far, all have been size 1. Some of these were remote triggered. Otherwise there has been a surprising lack of avalanche activity, but since there has been a fair bit of moderate wind from the W or SW, I suspect there has been windslab activity on the Jan 27 layer in the alpine that we haven't been able to see. There hasn't been a report of an avalanche on the December facets for some time but we have definitely kept that layer in the back of our mind this week.

We have skied terrain up to 40+ degrees where there hasn't been wind effect, but as soon as there is evidence of wind we have pulled in the horns and tried to avoid it. We have also limited our exposure to large slopes above whenever there has been wind loading on the upper ridges.

Ski quality has been excellent all week!

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide