[MCR] Robertson Glacier, Kananaskis Country (Feb 13)

Subject: [MCR] Robertson Glacier, Kananaskis Country (Feb 13)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:27:25 -0700
Robertson Glacier, Kananaskis Country (Feb 13)

Went for a walk with our skis on up the Robertson Glacier yesterday. Fast travel with a packed trail to the toe of the glacier then horrendously slow travel up the glacier itself. Snow depth ranged from 4 to 40 cm, depending where in the well-formed sastrugi you decided to probe. Near the top we found depths up to 140 cm. The small ice cliff, half-way up the glacier on climber's right, appears to be quite active since there is a bunch of ice debris scattered about.

Luckily, we had a premonition to pack ski crampons because we needed them to ascend the steeper roll two-thirds of the way up. Ski crampons on a north aspect in mid-February--who would have thought! Obviously, ski quality was poor, unless bashing sastrugi moguls and skittering around on bare glacial ice is your thing.

Sean Isaac
ACMG Assistant Alpine Guide