[MCR] South Coast Mountains, East side North aspects

Subject: [MCR] South Coast Mountains, East side North aspects
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 05:03:03 +0000 (GMT)
I spent the last few weeks guiding heli skiiers on the east side of the S coast
mountains.

On many north aspects the surface and mid pack has facetted to the point one
can push a ski pole all the way in to the handle. Not just in shallow rocky
areas but out in open bowls.
In many places these facetts are on top of a solid but thin crust (Dec 6). Some
places I've dug this crust still has the smooth glazed look of water ice. In
other locations the crust is decomposing and almost nonexistent - especially in
the drier eastern locals where there is really so little snow.
The common theme is loose granular snow on all shealtered north aspects. The
skiing is great in these locations right now but once new snow falls it is
pretty probable we will have a nasty unstable pack for a while.
Enjoy it while the good stuff lasts.

Dave Sarkany
Ski Guide

Email on the go, sent by TELUS