[MCR] Mountain conditions for the Whistler area

Subject: [MCR] Mountain conditions for the Whistler area
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:07:48 -0800 (PST)
I spent the last few weeks ski touring throughout the Whistler area. There is
widespread Surface Hoar on all aspects right up to ridge top, even on solar
aspects where it's on top of a sun crust. On average I'd say the crystals are
around 7-10mm (1cm) although in some areas it's even bigger. With the forecast
of another clear day then light precip it seems unlikely that this layer will
get destroyed before this interface gets buried. It is definitely going to be a
layer to be concerned about once it gets some more snow on it.

Also of note was how much the settlement of the snowpack has caused many
crevasse bridges to sag, a week ago things look alot different than they do
now. I'd still say that it's wise to bring a crevasse kit and be more
conservative where you may not have in the past.

Craig McGee, ACMG/IFMGA Mountain guide
craigskibum@xxxxxxxxx