[MCR] Wapta Icefields

Subject: [MCR] Wapta Icefields
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:27:26 -0700
Spent the last 6 days on the Wapta Icefields with a crew from the University of Alberta. We entered and exited via Bow Lake and spent the duration of our trip in the Bow Hut and Peyto Hut regions. We spent many days working on skills and also climbed to the upper ridge on Mt. Habel and the summit of Mt. Gordon.

The weather was fantastic for 5 of the 6 days with temperatures ranging from -7 to -22. Generally the skies were clear with the occasional few clouds. The exception was Thursday Feb 19 when approximately 5cm of snow fell during the day with moderate winds from the west. On most aspects this new snow stuck well to the previous surfaces below 2800m. Above this altitude most of the snow did not stick as well to the previous hard slab conditions. This new snow improved the ski quality dramatically, and we found enjoyable turns in many areas below 2800m. However, in the higher alpine there is still dramatic sastrugi (hard raised wind effected ripples) up to 80cm high, making for very difficult skiing and track-setting.

The snowpack varies dramatically in depth from over 200cm in some areas and as low as 90cm on the glaciers. The entire region is dramatically wind scoured and most winward aspects are completely bare of snow. The snowpack in treeline and alpine areas is characterized by weak basal layers (facets) and a very stiff midpack. We did find moderate compression tests down 25cm on a facet layer, but this seems quite isloated and not reactive to ski cutting. The last two days produced surface hoar and surface facetting, that could be an issue in the future if more snow falls. Avalanche activity was limited to two small slabs and two smalll sluffs, all from very steep lee features. Avalanche Hazard through the period remained at MODERATE in the alpine and LOW at treeline and below. Travel conditions in the alpine are excellent and below tree line travel is easy as long as you stay on the hard packed trails. On approach from Bow Lake there is a significant amount of bare ice on the lake and up the creek to the base of the canyon making for slippery but manageable travel. The sunny skies brought out people by the dozens on Saturday morning!

Play safe!

Jeremy Mackenzie
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide

Twice the fun— Share photos while you chat with Windows Live Messenger.