[MCR] Peyto

Subject: [MCR] Peyto
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:50:28 -0700
Plowed out from Peyto Hut yesterday (Feb 25). 40 cm of storm snow on the glacier with snow still falling in the morning. Cold out side the hut, -25 C. Couldn't see much of anything until we were off of the glacier, then just some storm sloughing and one size one surface slab off of the steep morriane, N aspect, 7000 feet (close to the boot packing below the glacial research hut). Surprised not to hear anything running. We remotely triggered a size one storm slab on a small convex roll at 6500 feet E aspect, 30 cm crown, 10 meter wide, ran 7 meters on the storm/old snow interface.

Poor coverage below 6500 feet, we all hit some rocks. Good coverage and travel across Peyto Lake, then horrid trail breaking -to ground half of the time- from the lake to the highway -an exhausting exercise.

Great ski quality on the 24th from Bow Hut over to Peyto, and even some face shots yesterday, be magic up on the icefield today.

Happy trails

Barry Blanchard
UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures