[MCR] Nlhaxten Conservancy/Ceriese Ck

Subject: [MCR] Nlhaxten Conservancy/Ceriese Ck
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:55:48 -0700

Just spent a few days up at the new Cereise Ck/ Nlhaxten Conservancy.

Precip on Tuesday fell as snow above 2100m. Up to 20 cm accumulation near Anniversary col, now melting rapidly. Many small sluffs out of steep snow slopes/Joffre gullies etc. Good summer snow travel conditions otherwise.

Of note, the old logging road has been completely deactivated, including ripping out the main bridge across Cereise Ck. There is 2 sketchy log/timber options in place, but on Sunday the water flow was torrential so we opted to take the winter route for ½ hour until we could get across the creek at the ol log bridge crossing (now long gone, with just a rope remaining) just before North Joffre Ck. Knee-depth water crossing worked quite well, but have to use your nose to make the winter route work, as the trail is not well defined once you get past the marshy bits.

On the way out we took the full summer trail, and waded across the significantly less torrential creek.

Brian Gould

MG