[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Sir Donald/Uto - Aug.16/09

Subject: [MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Sir Donald/Uto - Aug.16/09
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:10:54 -0700

Just back from a foray to the Sir Donald Uto Col – hoping find Uto snow free and dry enough and to climb. It was primarily snow free but sopping wet (not to mention snowing at the col when we arrived.

On our descent the clouds cleared somewhat and weather was improving, though the occasional shower was still rolling through. We could see that Sir Donald was quite snowy above the elevation of the rappels and major scree ledge – so the summit tower looks totally out of shape for now – perhaps by the end of the week if the forecasted sunshine and warm temps materialize it would be doable. Uto will just need some sunshine to dry out the rock and it should be good to go.

Overall much less snow then fell in the rockies but still enough to put higher rock objectives out of condition – sorry I didn’t get a look at the Mt. Rogers group.

Cheers,

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide