[MCR] Tryst/Commonwealth

Subject: [MCR] Tryst/Commonwealth
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:39:05 -0700
Spent the afternoon in the Tryst/Commonwealth area.

Temperatures were around -5C, it was snowing ~1cm /hr, and we had
light to moderate winds from SW.  30cm low density storm snow in
sheltered areas. In open areas at treeline and in the alpine strong+
winds have scoured the snow on windward aspects to the ground.

We dug a pit in a sheltered area (North aspect) at treeline and found
a well settled snowpack 120cm deep, from fist minus density on top to
1 finger plus at the bottom, with some moistness in the snow at the
very bottom. Compression Tests yielded no result. I found no
significant layers apart from the basal interface with the ground.

Due to the high winds and large amount of new snow, I suspect High
avalanche hazard in Alpine, Considerable (or worse) at Treeline,
Moderate Below Treeline (caution in open/wind exposed areas). No
natural avalanches were observed or heard, but our observations were
limited due to poor visibility.

We skied **sheltered, below treeline** north and south aspects with
consistent quality.

Regards,
Tom Wolfe