[MCR] Monashee Mtns West of the Perry River and NE of Craigellachie ck(T

Subject: [MCR] Monashee Mtns West of the Perry River and NE of Craigellachie ck(The Gorge)
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:09:16 -0700 (MST)
In the Monashees, right across the Craigellachie ck. from the Gorge, we have REALLY enjoyed low avalanche hazard for an extended period. Treeline and below, since dec 28th, we have been skiing anything that will hold snow right up to late this afternoon. Sadly, if the forecast is right the ski quality will likely improve but the avalanche hazard may go way up! In our cat-skiing area a layer of surface hoar was buried on Dec. 29th by approx 10cms of light snow and no wind. All our info and tests shows that we have to assume the surface hoar is intact and down approx 20cms everywhere we haven't skied extensively. Anywhere southerly facing and over 25 degrees also has a suncrust with the surface hoar on it. Darn!!!! If it starts snowing, blowing or warming for real in the next 24 hrs I will be looking for simple terrain or REALLY "skied out" terrain to ride on for a while.

We had a snowcat roadbuilding in the alpine today and the operator said it was mod to strong SE winds building windslabs in a whiteout all day up there(in simple terrain). Again,IF the forecast is correct, it is probably a really bad idea to be wandering in unfamiliar terrain in the alpine in this neighbourhood till we get some good weather for looking around in. We may be pulling in our reins for awhile. It sure was fun will it lasted:)

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
laristan@xxxxxxxxx