[MCR] Rogers Pass

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:42:45 -0700
There was an avalanche cycle in Rogers Pass today. Apparently Frequent Flyer hit the valley and put 2 m of debris on the Connaught trail. There were other avalanches running in that valley today too.

Plenty of avalanches size 1-2 in open areas below treeline in the highway corridor.

We skied the Corbin area and saw twitchy soft slabs running on crusts, triggering easily in open areas below treeline. 30-40 cm deep, size 1-1.5 but not propagating very far. Extensive cracking around our skis. In the thicker trees there was no crust and fewer signs of instability, good skiing.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide