[MCR] Kootenay Pass, Southern Selkirk Mountains

Subject: [MCR] Kootenay Pass, Southern Selkirk Mountains
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:48:17 -0800
Lots of skiers at Kootenay Pass in Stagleap Provincial Park today. After reading public avalanche postings, I was expecting some 'touchy' conditions. Turned out to be pretty good. We skied cautiously but found no evidence of wind slab from the recent storm on the NE or W aspects at 2100m we were on. Aggressive turns on moderate slopes (30-35*) below this elevation produced only minor sloughing. Ski cutting some steeper slopes of about 45* resulted in sloughs that brought along the top 5cm but were reluctant to run far. No evidence of recent avalanche activity was observed.

About 40cm of 4F (fairly soft) snow was on the Dec 28 surface hoar/crust combo. Compression tests resulted in moderate to hard results on this layer. Tests on the Dec 12 facet layer, down about 80cm, didn't produce any results. The snow pack below this was well settled. Some whumpfing was noticed on low angled terrain, but didn't propagate more than half a ski length away.

Air temperature was around -4 during the day. Must have been above freezing earlier, the moist surface was forming a thin crust between 1800m and 2100m elevation. Something to note when more snow falls.

Happy New Year.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.