[MCR] Rockies, Bow Summit neighbourhood, Jan. 16th, 2010.

Subject: [MCR] Rockies, Bow Summit neighbourhood, Jan. 16th, 2010.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:14:59 -0700 (MST)

As of 2pm saturday, Jan 16th, things were very good in the Bow Summit 'hood. The reset button got hit. Nice, cool, calm and clear day with 30 cms light new snow sitting gently on all the old tracks, crust and wind damage.

Great visibility today and basically no new avalanches observed. A couple of small sloughs and one vague size 2 that was either from a big slough or most likely a cornice fall. All of these came from very steep terrain.

No signs of wind transport right up to ridge tops, again in great visibility. Almost everywhere looked nicely covered and there was some nice looking tracks on the big west facing simple terrain at treeline and just above on Observation pk.

No cracking, whumphing or even moaning:) from the snowpack while breaking trail and skiing downhill in fresh snow all day.

Good to excellent ski quality. Lots of folks out there today but many seemed to be on AST courses.

A wind could change things quickly for the worse. I would assume the Dec 29th surface hoar still lurks weakly in many places, so I would be reluctant to get into complex terrain for awhile. But, till the wind blows I would work on schralping the hell out of the simple and challenging terrain for the common good:)

Banff Jasper highway would make a reasonable hockey surface and the Bow Summit parking lot and road weren't plowed so parking sucked.

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
laristan@xxxxxxxxx