[MCR] Selkirks avalanches

Subject: [MCR] Selkirks avalanches
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:18:50 -0800
Part way through a week here in the Valkyr Range in the southern Selkirks and to put it succinctly things are "going off". We have had many skier controlled and natural avalanches with several being triggered remotely from 5-8 meters away. They have been in the size 1.5 to size 2 range but we have been keeping to small terrain. In larger features there would be larger avalanches. All have failed on the surface hoar buried February 9. All of our nearest neighbours have been seeing the same thing.

Heads up.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
www.alpinism.com