[MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columb

Subject: [MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columbia Mountains issued September 23rd, 2010
Date: 23 Sep 2010 23:15:43 -0000

ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columbia Mountains issued September 23rd, 2010

Cold, darn cold.

The snow still hasn't melted around Lake O'Hara at 2000m and I was rock climbing at lake elevations in my toque and down jacket all day.

Winter in the Rockies and Columbias seem to start around 2700m. I haven't seen any recent reports from above 3000m but in most places up high I would be looking for wind slabs and fresh little cornices. Below 3000m it has probably got warm enough yesterday for things to have melt-freezed a bit and be glued in place till the sun comes out. Presently it is cold and grey at O'Hara and raining lightly at Rogers Pass.

The recent snowfalls have been wildly variable in depth from all reports so a plan B, C and D could be a really good idea for awhile yet. No word from Jasper and Columbia Icefields but assume it is wintry there too

If the sunny forecast pans out, expect some vicious rockfall and wet sloughs when things warm up. Yesterday we didn't seem to get much of a clean out as the air never really warmed up during the day.

There is some ice dribbles around in the alpine. Be on them on a grey day or very early and expect thinness and piton-craft.

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide

These observations and opinions are those of the person who submitted them. The ACMG and its members take no responsibility for errors, omissions, or lapses in continuity. Conditions differ greatly over time and space due to the variable nature of mountain weather and terrain. Application of this information provides no guarantee of increased safety. Do not use the Mountain Conditions Report as the sole factor in planning trips or making decisions in the field. Please check out http://acmg.ca/mcr for more information.