[MCR] Ranger Creek Ice, Kananaskis, Nov. 10, 2010

Subject: [MCR] Ranger Creek Ice, Kananaskis, Nov. 10, 2010
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:02:41 -0800 (PST)
Spent the day climbing R&D and The Chalice and the Spoon, with Elisabeth in Ranger Creek.  Both routes are in good shape and take good protection.

Lone Ranger and The Road Less Traveled were also climbed by other parties.  Lone Ranger is reported to be more like WI4.

Not much snow in the area (up to 20cm), but we did watch a decent sized (goat triggered) sluff come down next to us on R&D as we were roping up.  While this was of little consequence, I was quite surprised at the distance it covered on relatively low angle slopes to get to us, and this might speak to snow pack weaknesses to keep in mind if we get any new snow and/or wind in the near future.
Nice to be back on the ice!

Cheers, Conrad Janzen
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.conradjanzenguiding.com