[MCR] Maligne Lake area revisited

Subject: [MCR] Maligne Lake area revisited
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 22:07:07 -0700
Up to the Bald Hills today with an AST group looking at the snowpack in the Eastern Slopes of the Rockies.

-23 in the parking lot, -20 at the summer trail turnoff and though we were expecting (hoping for!) some kind of an inversion in the sunshine at treeline, the thermometer still read -23.

Still shallow below treeline and though people have been "making turns" you would be best to stick to the road below 1950metres.

A test profile at treeline had a 52cm snowpack. The top 10CM was newer snow but quite faceted. The midpack was larger facets which sat on top of the rain crust which is about 10cm off the ground.

The upper layers were still very unconsolidated and couldn't get any shears or compressions on top of the rain crust.
We did not find the surface hoar layer as our tests gave no clean shears.

A Rutchblock test was done at 2250 metres, NE aspect, ~50-60cm snowpack. the results were a score of 5 below the rain crust.

No natural activity observed.

In general the cold temps have really progressed the faceting process in most of the snowpack. We would suspect that there are areas in the alpine where wind affect will have stiffened up the surface layers and it could be more reactive,
..however not that much wind affect was observed in this drainage.

With these weak layers sitting on top of a good sliding crust......next big storm should be interesting.

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide

Peter Amann

pamann@xxxxxxxxxxxx